Thank you for being here today. Let’s face it. Without readers, this blogging gig might just fizzle out. I’m humbled by those of you who return time and time again, and especially by those who award me with some extra recognition and pass my site along to others. Rhonda, Bryan, Greg, and Brother John Mark, thanks for the support from the bottom of my heart.
Rhonda asked, and I linked a few (okay, a lot) of my answers to previous posts…
- You have an opportunity to have a sit down with another writer. Who would it be and why? Maya Angelou—click for post.
- Who is the most talented Black artist (musician, writer, painter, potter, any type of artist) that you think deserves to be more widely known or appreciated? See #1.
- Who is the funniest person you have ever personally known? Denise.
- What or who is your spirit animal? Butterfly for metamorphosis. A cat for an independent mind.
- What is the biggest mistake you think you’ve made as a blogger? Ignoring family and friends.
- What one aspect of your life during the pandemic is “for keeps” post Covid-19? Eating at home.
- If you were granted the ability to be highly proficient at playing a musical instrument, what would it be and why? Maybe viola to play duets with my son, the cellist—or acoustic guitar—or banjo, but only if I could be gifted with a voice to sing.
- What your favorite book and why? I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
- What song do you currently have on repeat? “Wolf Like Me,” Lera Lynn.
- Which season of the year best describes you? I love the season changes, and Summer now.
- What is you most prize possession? My grandmother’s pearls.
- Which historical figure would you like to meet and why? Maya Angelou.
- What makes a good blog? Humor and making the specific relatable.
- Back to the past or forward to the future? In the moment.
- Your dream vacation? Thailand
- The greatest movie of all time? I love Moulin Rouge. Greatest movie? IDK.
- Wealth or health? What is wealth? As a former teacher and current student, I prefer to focus on what’s within my control. My health.
- Your proudest moment. Going back to school.
- What is the last book you read? Kafka on the Shore. (This is actually not true, but I did finish this book in July and loved it so much that I blogged about it. The last book I read was Elizabeth McCracken’s An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination, a memoir that I also LOVED and would call a must-read. However, I’m realizing this is also a false statement because in the next couple of days I also finished How to Read a Poem and Fall in Love with Poetry and Staying Alive, Real Poems for Unreal Times, and I forget in which order. All for summer school).
- What is the next book you are going to read? Black Zodiac by Charles Wright
- What are your favorite genres to read? Memoir and historical fiction
- What is the last song you played on your preferred listening device? Tainted Love by Imelda May
- Who when and where is the last live music concert you attended and where? Matt and Kim, on my anniversary 11/11/19, in Dallas
- You can only take 5 albums with you into quarantine, which ones do you choose? I just need YouTube.
- Once travel restrictions due to COVID-19 allow travel, where is the first place you want to visit? My mother in her nursing home back in Oklahoma, but I do have a trip planned to Telluride, CO.
- Who is your favorite author? Maya Angelou.
- What is your favorite writing instrument to use when not on a digital platform? Mechanical pencil.
- Do you believe that cursive handwriting should still be taught in our schools? No.
- What is one life goal you still want/need/hope to accomplish? To finish my master’s degree and my first memoir.
- Who is your favorite character in the Bible aside from Jesus? And why? David. See post.
- How do you develop your relationship with God? All relationships take time and consistency.
- Who is Jesus for you? Love.
- Have you visited historical Churches? If yes, where? Yes. Venice and Ravenna, Italy; Dubrovnik, Croatia; Nazareth, Galilee, and Jerusalem, Israel; Cairo and Alexandria, Egypt; Kuşadası, Turkey; and Patmos and Athens, Greece.
- Do you read the Bible? (Y/N) Yes.
- What parable/stories of Jesus in the Gospels touched you most? What he says to Peter about forgiveness.
- Do you love religious music? Yes.
- Can you name one favorite religious song? For KING & COUNTRY “Joy”.
- What is your favorite verse in the New Testament? “For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind” (2 Timothy 1:7). Or “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you (Matthew 7:7).
- What is your favorite verse in the Old Testament? “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9).
- What day of the week you spend hours in meeting the Lord? More on Sundays, but I try to say a daily thank you.
The Sun Never Says by Hafiz
All this time
The Sun never says to the Earth,
“You owe me.”
With a love like that,
It lights the whole sky.